Over the next few months, Police will make the transition to a new licence administration software, along with an improved process for visitor firearms licence applications. There will be five important changes applicants will experience when applying for a visitor firearms licence:
- In order to apply for a visitor firearms licence, applicants will need a RealMe® login, the New Zealand Government’s secure login service. Getting a RealMe® login is quick and easy and applicants will be guided through the process when they first apply for a visitor firearms licence. Find out more about RealMe®.
- Clear and simple instructions on the Police firearms website to help applicants prepare well for the application process and ensure they have all documents and pre-requisites ready for submission for the online application. Visitors will be provided pre-qualifying information and guidelines at the start of the application process to speed up the overall process and reduce the need for clarifications and follow-ups.
- This new process will require applicants to pay the visitor application fee online using their credit card (Visa or MasterCard) as part of the application process. This will remove the need to pay in cash at the airport on arrival in New Zealand. Cash will not be accepted at New Zealand airports once the new system goes live.
- Applicants will be able to easily upload their documents (such as a photo, copy of both their passport and home country firearms licence) online as part of the application, reducing the need for subsequent email communication between Police and the applicant for supporting documentation.
- As part of the application process, all applicants for a visitor firearms licence will be required to complete a short online theory test. This will be based on information available in the Arms Code and will demonstrate their knowledge of New Zealand’s requirements for the safe handling and storage of firearms.
Who will be affected by this change?
Overseas visitors applying for a Visitor Firearms Licence after our new software goes live which is expected to be in March/April 2019*.
* Exact go-live date is subject to successful set up and implementation of the software.
[6 June 2019] - Note: New online form for visitor firearms licence now available on the Visitor firearms licence and import permits page.
|Phone 0800 844 431 (04 499 2870)
8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday